Disclosure of Grant and Contribution Awards Over $25,000
On October 21, 2005, the Government announced its commitment to proactively disclose the awarding of grants and contributions over $25,000 as part of its Management Improvement Agenda. The rules and principles governing government grants and contributions are outlined in the Treasury Board Policy on Transfer Payments.
Transfer payments are transfers of money, goods, services or assets made from an appropriation to individuals, organizations or other levels of government, without the Government directly receiving goods or services in return, but which may require the recipient to provide a report or other information subsequent to receiving payment. These expenditures are reported in the Public Accounts of Canada.
The information to be disclosed includes:
- Name of the individual, company or organization that has received the funding;
- Location of the recipient, specifically the municipality/city and province/territory;
- Date at which the funding commitment was made;
- Value of the funding; and
- Purpose of the funding.
This web site provides information on grants and contributions awarded by or on behalf of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC).
Additionally, some other types of transfer payments will not be reported under proactive disclosure of awards, specifically:
- transfers to other levels of government such as Production Insurance payments made to provinces;
- Canadian Agricultural Income Stabilization (CAIS) payments; and
- grants and contributions reallocated or otherwise redistributed to recipients by a delivery agent.
Advisory: Grant funding awarded under the Research Partnership Agreement (RPA) is authorized by AAFC but administered on AAFC's behalf by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). Information on this funding is disclosed by NSERC and made available through its website. The RPA program is designed to support university-based research and research training that addresses priority needs of the agriculture and agri-food sector.
As of the first quarter of 2017-2018, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s disclosure of grants and contributions is published on the Open Government section of Canada.ca. Search Government Grants and Contributions.
Previous reports are available on request; contact us to obtain a copy.
- Date modified: